Let's try getting one of these out during daylight hours, shall we? This is the penultimate chapter of the annual year-end list, and I'm hoping not to have anymore moments of sudden correction between today and tomorrow. In the meantime, I continue to seat the newcomers next to the veterans, the bubblegum next to electronic discord and distorted guitars, the questionable next to the obvious.
85. Newman Wolf / "Please Keep Talking" An LA artist using skittering electronic music to reflect on the pain of his 20s. You know. As one does these days.
86. Nicolas Jaar / "No" "No" carves out a space and builds whole buildings and streets for you to wander as you listen to it. It's a fairly subdued song, distant lyrics with an echo that suggests a cavernous room, muffled beats that sound like a block party overheard.
89. Nite-Funk / "Let Me Be Me" Nite-Funk is Nite Jewel and Dam-Funk forming their own mini supergroup and a powerful dance force. It's safe to say that some things are just meant to be.
94. Pillow Person / "Go Ahead" Pillow Person is the solo project of Hot Chip's Sarah Jones, and on "Go Ahead" she stares into the void of the PC Music CG valley and pulls out something that becomes less cyborg pop star, more real human girl.
99. Raw M.T. / "One Last Shot" Italian house that plays the game. Because, you know, there's just not enough of that on here, or something.